The week before I finally moved into my apartment (which was also the week my boyfriend came to visit me) I had the ‘pleasure’ of having no wifi at the place where I was staying. There was also the fact that I could not create a hot-spot with my crappy ‘smartphone’ (that has memory space for around five apps, yay!). Admittedly, it was my/our own fault that we did not have wifi as we purely overlooked the fact that the airbnb we had picked did not come with it. haha. It is very annoying as we could even see the router box in a corner but it was just not connected anything and so on.
Don’t get me wrong – I’m definitely not a person who spends ALL of her spare time on the internet. I like spending time offline (eg. reading a book, listening to music, photography and spending time with friends). However, on some days you just want to spend a couple of hours on youtube, Netflix or wikipedia ;)
So I had to come up with things to do my spare time when I was at home. Luckily, the weather was nice most of the time, so we spent a lot of our time outdoors.
So here is my suggestion list that one can do when there’s no wifi:
- Spend a lot of your time at the library. Especially during exam time (very annoying). You are forced to spend a lot of time at the library because a) you need the internet for your research and b) you need the internet to look at cute cats and puppies so your mood lightens up because you’ve spent too much time thinking about cars (exam).
- Get creative when it comes to food. As you have a lot of time on your hands you also have a lot of time to cook. Therefore, you have time for a nice candlelight dinner (especially when your significant other is in town).
- Binge-watch a TV show. You can start watching tv shows that you have on your laptop. For example ‘The Nanny’ or ‘Lost’. Yes, we watched a whole season of Lost (26?! episodes) within just a few days.
- Creative hairstyles. Though it would be so much faster you let your significant other braid your hair because you’ve got time and you are bored.
- Play Pokémon. It is so much fun to rejoice at games that you used to play when you were a little kid. It even makes more fun when you can play it ‘together’ (by turns) and work on the best way to beat a Gym Leader or decide on which funny attack your favourite Pokémon should learn by giving him a TM or VM.
- Play Card Games.
- Sleep a lot. You get a lot of sleeping done because there’s nothing much to do when the weather is not the best and you are not up to leaving the house and you don’t have anything else to do.
A very interesting experience that I made. I was able to really enjoy the time with my boyfriend as we both did not have the possibility to lose ourselves in the depths of the world wide web. On the other hand, on some days when you are just not in the mood for exploring the city and leaving the house and would only like to stay at home and watch some Netflix, you can’t do it. Moreover, if you’ve got an exam to write, finish and hand-in online, you N E E D the internet. Yeah, the university is not far away and everything, but having the need to drive to the uni (or to a place where they have free wifi) just for handing in an exam – annoying.